My top priority in the first leg of the 2013-14 session will be strengthening the MBTA.
The maintenance backlog and service challenges of the MBTA have drawn wide attention. But we need to do much more than stabilize the existing system. We need to increase the capacity of the busiest routes on the system. Much of the system is at capacity and congestion frustrates passengers and suppresses ridership.
There is strong agreement among legislative leaders that we need to address infrastructure issues, including the MBTA, in this session. My advocacy goal will be to assure that we achieve a solution that supports improvement, as opposed to mere survival.
For more background, see:
- The Senate Transportation Plan
- The Legislature’s Transportation Plan
- The Governor’s Transportation Plan
- Advocacy priorities — capacity expansion
- Overview of the options.
- Review of the MBTA’s financial condition.
- FY13 final package — impact on seniors and the disabled.
- MBTA Staff Recommendations for FY13
- Background materials supplied by MBTA Management
- MBTA Financial Condition and Proposed Service Reductions/Fare Increases (January 2012)
- Will’s perspective on MBTA service cuts (March 2012)
- MBTA Service Reductions or Fare Increases (July 2009 hearing)
- Listing of all news and issues posts related to the MBTA
Excellent resources on the issue outside this site include: