We realize the work of you as our shining legislator in the matter of the forest, and 4 other legislators who we understand continue to appeal to reason in behalf of our dwindling natural resources which benefit the Lower Mystic watershed of Belmont, Cambridge, Arlington and Somerville.
Public outpouring has come from Cambridge and Belmont through city and town-wide hearings with top officials, continuous newspaper articles, citizen advocacy with legislators, selectmen and councilors, and Dems of Cambridge, constant visibility and education with tours and presentations, and innumerable other non-profit partnerships and other channels of expression. See now Change.org with almost 600 signatures to preserve this forest that you have presented as a Bill to Mass. Legislature 2 times. And the latest article by noted Journalist Dan Proffer on Change.org . It is still hard to believe that we may be nowhere, and the state appraisal may or may not advance the cause of public need and fear for the safety of their homes and families in this area of the watershed.
The refusal by Governor Patrick to sign the bill was not surprising to many of us, but we do not have any idea how the appraisal will play out, but are most anxious to hear and to follow this thread of possibility for conservation of the woodlands.
During the most recent hearing in Cambridge, we hear that the developers in that area (THREE) are planning to move ahead (including the woodlands developer) and have spent 2 million dollars of their own for the municipal sewer pump station in Cambridge, despite the Hearings’ directives NOT to give a permit until the Court Case has played out. Although no permits have thus been given outside of Cambridge’s first “flood storage” permit, we believe the developers are standing in line for these permits if the state rules against us March 2.
Now that the forest has been given to Superior Court rostrom earlier than expected for March 2 in Woburn, we must be ready and make a concerted effort for either eventuality, i.e. bringing together our supporters who are not confined to legislative jurisdiction, but need your support for community expression of the 3 municipalities. I hope that we can bring our concerned citizens together before the state makes its approval so as to move from that spot to another without chaos, confusion and grief.
While I have asked all of my friends and of our mutual supporters to wait until we speak with you so as to know how to proceed, I am not sure how you feel about it. This is not a personal matter but one with thousands of dollars, homes, environment, animals and birds, rare open space, etc. etc. at stake. If we are given a bad verdict on March 2, many active and concerned citizens will be anxious and desirous to express themselves and to know if any other venues exist and where to turn for assistance. IF we wait until April or later (Depending on when the appraisal is complete), local opportunities and discussion may be quelled, and a permit may be given easily without our diligence.
Thanks for being willing to speak with us at the appointed meeting time of March 1. IF you feel this is a mistake, please let us know. We will need your guidance as to where our campaign might continue.
No one will proceed without your willing support and good wishes.
Friends of Alewife Reservation