MassDOT Advisory: Massachusetts Avenue Bridge Replacement Project
Massachusetts Avenue Closure and Detours on March 10-11
BOSTON – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) has announced that it will close Massachusetts Avenue north and southbound in the vicinity of the bridge over Commonwealth Avenue from 7:00 a.m., on Saturday, March 10, to 7:00 p.m., on Sunday, March 11. The Commonwealth Avenue bypasses under the bridge will also be closed to traffic.
The closure is necessary to allow crews to safely and effectively conduct preparation activities and remove asbestos material that is contained within the existing bridge structure and was not visible until construction began. This material is located within the structure and is only accessible while construction operations are ongoing. Appropriate containment measures that meet safety standards will be in place during the asbestos removal.
The approximately two-day closure in March also eliminates the need for daily closures between now and the full bridge replacement that is currently planned from 10:00 p.m., on Thursday, May 10, to 5:00 a.m., on Tuesday, May 15. Public meetings are planned in March and April, prior to the May four-day, full bridge closure, and meeting notifications will be distributed to press outlets and the project email list.
During the March 10 to 11 closure period, through vehicular, bicycle, and pedestrian traffic will be detoured. Local access and parking will be maintained along Massachusetts Avenue and the Commonwealth Avenue surface roadways.
Vehicle Detour Routes:
- Northbound Detour Route: From Massachusetts Avenue, vehicles traveling northbound will turn right onto Boylston Street and then turn left onto Hereford Street. Continue on Hereford Street, turn left onto Beacon Street, and then turn right onto Massachusetts Avenue to continue northbound.
- Southbound Detour Route: From Massachusetts Avenue, vehicles traveling southbound will turn right onto Beacon Street, turn left onto Charlesgate West, and then left onto Commonwealth Avenue. Continue on Commonwealth Avenue and bear right at the closed bypass roadway using the surface roadway to reach Massachusetts Avenue and turn right to continue southbound.
Bicyclist and Pedestrian Detour Routes:
- Through bicycle and pedestrian traffic should use the crossings at Charlesgate East and Hereford Street.
For more information on traffic conditions travelers are encouraged to:
- Dial 511 before heading out onto the roadways and select a route to hear real-time conditions.
- Visit www.mass511.com, a website which provides real-time traffic and incident advisory information, access to traffic cameras, and allows users to subscribe to text and email alerts for traffic conditions.
- Follow MassDOT on Twitter @MassDOT to receive regular updates on road and traffic conditions
- Download MassDOT’s GoTime mobile app and view real-time traffic conditions before setting out on the road.
For more information about the project and to sign up for email advisories, visit the website at www.mass.gov/massdot/massavebridge.