On Friday, Senator Brownsberger sent this message to his constituents:
The tragic deaths of Boston firefighters Edward J. Walsh and Michael R. Kennedy remind us once again how much our freedom and safety depend on the courage of those who choose to serve.
The Boston Firefighters Credit Union has posted a donation link so that the public can contribute to a memorial fund in honor of Lieutenant Walsh and Firefighter Kennedy.
Today, Boston.com also published a list of five ways people can help the families of the fallen and injured firefighters:
1. The Greg Hill Foundation Beneficiary Firefighters of the Beacon Street Fire, started by WAAF radio’s morning host Greg Hill, has raised more than $50,000 with the help of more than 700 donors.
2. The Boston Firefighters Credit Union has established a Lieutenant Walsh—Firefighter Kennedy memorial fund that accepts both cash and credit card donations.
3. The goal of The Boston Firefighter’s Burn Foundation is to “ease the suffering and hardship of burn victims and their families.” Firefighter Michael Kennedy served on the board of the organization, according to MassLive.com.
4. An Indiogogo campaign has been started by Eastie Boston and Blythe Berents to raise funds. The campaign, named Fallen Heroes of Beacon Street Fire, will also donate some of the money raised to the 13 other firefighters who were injured in Wednesday’s fire.
5. Bruins Ticket auction — already closed.
Additionally, the YMCA has set up the Walsh Family Fund to directly support Ed’s kids. On-line donations can be made at www.ymcaboston.org/giving designating the Walsh Family Fund or checks can be mailed to YMCA of Greater Boston, 316 Huntington Ave. Boston, MA 02115. C/O Walsh Family Fund. From the director of the Oak Square Y:
Lt. Ed Walsh served as the Facilities Director of the Oak Square YMCA for 10 years. He was a respected, committed, and important member of the Y family. To so many, Ed was a hero. To us, he was a friend and treasured colleague.
If you are aware of other ways to help, please feel free to post them as replies here.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us directly for assistance!