Please note: This program has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Senator Will Brownsberger’s Youth Policy Internship provides students in the Second Suffolk and Middlesex the opportunity to engage with and learn about the Massachusetts State Senate. Through this five-week summer program, members will learn about public policy and lawmaking. By the end of the program, members will not only have an increased understanding of the legislative process, but will also have experience brainstorming, advocating for, and debating policy solutions to real public policy issues facing the Commonwealth.
Any interested Second Suffolk and Middlesex District constituents living in Allston, Brighton, Back Bay, Fenway, Watertown, and Belmont who are going into their junior year of high school or above are encouraged to apply.
- Understand the legislative process and roles of the state legislature and state government
- Learn how members of the public engage in public policy conversations and advocacy
- Refine professional development skills of public speaking, critical thinking, and team work
- Engage in dialogue about complex ideas with respect
- Learn the various roles and functions within a legislative office
The program will run from June 30 – July 29 on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings from 9:30AM – 12:00PM
- Tuesday June 30
- Wednesday July 1
- Tuesday July 7
- Wednesday July 8
- Tuesday July 14
- Wednesday July 15
- Tuesday July 21
- Wednesday July 22
- Tuesday July 28
- Wednesday July 29
All meetings will take place in the Massachusetts State House (24 Beacon Street, Boston MA 02133)
- Live in the Second Suffolk and Middlesex District: Allston, Brighton, Fenway, Back Bay, Watertown, or Belmont
- Being enrolled as a junior or senior in high school or any level of college during the 2020-2021 academic school year
Expectations for Success
- Attending all meeting times
- Coming to each meeting prepared to learn and collaborate
- Being respectful and open minded of all opinions and ideas shared during duration of program
How to Apply
Please send your name, address, and brief statement of interest to Alicia.Brisson@masenate.gov.
Applications will open in March 2020 and applicants will be notified in May 2020 of acceptance into the program.