My top priority in the first leg of the 2013-14 session will be strengthening the MBTA.
The maintenance backlog and service challenges of the MBTA have drawn wide attention. But we need to do much more than stabilize the existing system. We need to increase the capacity of the busiest routes on the system. Much of the system is at capacity and congestion frustrates passengers and suppresses ridership.
There is strong agreement among legislative leaders that we need to address infrastructure issues, including the MBTA, in this session. My advocacy goal will be to assure that we achieve a solution that supports improvement, as opposed to mere survival.
For more background, see:
- The Senate Transportation Plan
- The Legislature’s Transportation Plan
- The Governor’s Transportation Plan
- Advocacy priorities — capacity expansion
- Overview of the options.
- Review of the MBTA’s financial condition.
- FY13 final package — impact on seniors and the disabled.
- MBTA Staff Recommendations for FY13
- Background materials supplied by MBTA Management
- Listing of all news and issues posts related to the MBTA.
Excellent resources on the issue outside this site include:
- The MBTA website.
- The Dukakis Center at Northeastern.
- A Better City.
- Alternatives for Community and the Environment.
There are a number of thoughtful topics and posts on transportation topics, particularly the MBTA, that have been initiated by site users in the Forums section of the website. Click the button below to see them: